Dr. Alice Anderson
Graduate Coordinator: Environmental Health Sciences
B.A., Central Michigan University
MS., Ph.D. Bowling Green State University
- Assistant Professor: Current. East Carolina University , Environmental Health Sciences and Safety Program , Department of Health Education and Promotion, College of Health and Human Performance. Greenville, NC.
- Medical Entomologist: 1981-2002 State of North Carolina, Division of Environmental Health, Public Health Pest Management Raleigh, NC. Office in Morehead City, NC Responsible for assistance of NC counties in administration of State Aid to Counties for mosquito control. Each year I teach pesticide application licensing schools, Ultra Low Volume (ULV) spray machine operation, and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques for safe and effective mosquito and other vector control. I have participated in monitoring for vectors in West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis and Lyme disease North Carolina. I worked with aircraft and counties in emergency aerial applications of pesticides following hurricane Floyd. Each year I make recommendations to local Health Departments, businesses, schools and governments regarding mosquitoes, lice, ticks, fleas, and flies, when problems are referred to state government. I have initiated major research projects in march mosquito control techniques, and in wetland restoration mosquito problem projects. All the work I do concerns collaboration with other state and federal agencies, often with students, and more recently with funding agencies.
- Adjunct Professor at Park University, Missouri, Cherry Point Extension Campus, from 1995 - 2002.
- I am qualified by Park University to teach, and I have taught classes in American Literature, Contemporary Literature, the Short Story, the Bible as Literature and Professional Writing in addition to classes in general Ecology, Human Anatomy & Science, Technology and Society. This has given the opportunity to teach college level classes in a broad range of subjects, to interact with both older and younger college students in beginning classes, and in many upper level classes in both my major and minor fields.
- 1962 - 1976 Central Michigan University Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
- BA in English, minor in Biology. MS in Science, 1976. Sigma Xi research grant, 1975.
- Michigan Permanent Teaching Certificate earned, 1969.
- Elected to Delta Kappa Gamma, teaching honorary
- National Science Foundation teacher education grant recipient, 1968.
- 1976 - 1979 Bowling Green State University Bowling Green, OH
- Ph.D. in Biology, Minor in Statistics, 1979.
- 1983 - 1984 East Carteret High School, NC
High School Biology teacher
Special Marine Biology and General Biology
- 1980 - 1981 University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR Research Associate Ricefield mosquito management multi-state project
- 1980 - 1981 University of Georgia, Aiken, SC, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
Laboratory Coordinator and Lecturer Biology 101 sections
- 1975 - 1977 Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio
Biology Teacher Michigan Public Schools
- 1966 - 1975 Chairman Biology Department, Designed new Biology Labs, developed advanced classes in Physiology, Ecology, Botany, and Field Biology. Directed summer Biology Camps with Central Michigan University professors at Beaver Is. Biological Station
Recent Major Publications
- L. A. Wolf, B. A. Harrison, B. Engber, P. Whitt, A. Anderson, and J. T. McPherson. 2000. Prevalence of Ehrlichia ewingii in Amblyomma americanum in North Carolina. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 38:7 page 3795.
- Alice L. Anderson, B. Engber, B. Harrison, J. Brown, J. Andrews, P. Rueda, P. Whitt, and N. Newton. 2000. Emergency Aerial Spraying in North Carolina after Hurricane Floyd, 1999. Wing Beats, Summer 2000. pages 4, 5, 27.
- Alice L. Anderson, 1991. Spoiling the Spoils of Mosquitoes. Wing Beats, Winter 1991. pages 12-15.
- Meisch, Max V., A. L. Anderson, R. L. Watson, and L. Olsen. 1982. Mosquito Species Inhabiting Ricefields in Five Rice Growing Regions of Arkansas. Mosquito News, Vol 42:3. pages 341-346.
- *Complete list of publications, media article examples, and media appearance available upon request.
Additional Professional Activities
- Past President and Vice President of North Carolina Mosquito and Vector Control Association, and Mid-Atlantic Mosquito Control Association.
- Chairman of By-laws committee for the American Mosquito Control Association.
- Vice President of Graduate Student Body at Bowling Green State University
- Secretary Chippewa Hills Education Association, Remus, Michigan.
- North Carolina and Vector Control Association,
- Mid-Atlantic Mosquito Control Association,
- American Mosquito Control Association,
- North American Benthological Association (past).
- Sigma Xi, Delta Kappa Gamma, Tau Chapter (teaching honorary).
- Spanish accreditation for Ph. D. degree
- Church Choir, Glad Tidings Church, Coastal Community Choir, Sunday School Teaching, St. Peters United Methodists Church. Soup Kitchen meals, Carteret County.